Sunday, May 13, 2012

Laughter

Its okay to laugh.

I'm about to loose all of the hair on my body, and guess what... the first thing I thought of when I heard that was "Hey, that's $14 a month in shampoo I won't have to spend."

When I first heard the list of side effects from the five drug combination they are going to hit me with, I ran some numbers in my head and went "Hell, I'll make a killer zombie for Halloween this year."

When the Doctor told me I had the most aggressive form of Lymphoma, I said out loud "Of course I do, why should my disease be any less obnoxious than I am?"

In less than twenty four hours, I'm going to shave my head and hopefully Youtube it. For those who know me, you know I have a huge scar on my head that has been constantly described as a Klingon head ridge. I've never actually seen this before in my life.... no one has. And you know, I'm actually looking forward to seeing it. I think part of this whole cancer process for me is just it being an excuse for me to do something I could never do before.


I have cancer.

But I am not letting it take one thing from me, or my family. Every inch it wants, it will need to earn, step by step, the hard way.

And part of that is humor. I'm going to joke, I'm going to laugh, I'm going to do everything I can to keep my spirits up.

Because when I stop laughing, it just won another battle in this war.

Humor is part of life, and as such, it is part of this battle. Tell the jokes, ask the funny questions, smile, laugh, tell stories, remind people off my best times, and my not so glorious moments.

But whatever you do, don't stop laughing because we're talking about me having cancer.

When you do that... it's one step closer to winning.

7 comments:

  1. Keep laughing Cisco!! Keep laughing!! You're rocking!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A great way to look at things! I'm so glad you posted it. My mom was the same way while fighting her illness, and even though she has passed on, she lived her life her way. She made her choices so she was living, instead of dying. I'm glad to have been a part of this, even in such a small way. Especially on Mother's Day, this really means something. Thanks for counting me close enough to be a part of it--means a lot!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ....I wanna see this youtube video!!! :D So excite for you in this respect.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Laughter?

    Q. How many cancer patients does it take to screw in a light bulb?

    A. Just one, but it takes a support group to cheer him on, and there's a lot of grieving afterwards.

    ReplyDelete
  5. when u take that video...gimmi the link! i wanna see u as a Klingon! :P

    ReplyDelete