Tuesday, January 13, 2015

KSP: Proton 1

Okay, so I decided to try something a little different with KSO this time. I am deliberately trying to follow a "development plan" with my space program, where I built up to larger accomplishments. I'm not doing Career mode (well, actually I am, but I'm just not blogging about it, its not nearly as much fun for me right now). But, I am retracing the steps of the superpowers in a sense. These baby steps are meant to be 1, more fun, 2, better time management for me.

So, without further delay...

Phase 1. Put a Satellite in orbit over Kerbin. 


The Satellite: Sat #1
A basic communications satellite

Components
1 x 6 solar panels (2)
Gyroscopic mechanism (control ring)
"Stayputnick" command module
Small fuel tank
Small liquid fuel engine
Communications dish. 
Nothing really complicated here, I just wanted a satellite that would stay where I out it, and stay pointed at what I wanted it pointed at. I kept size and weight down as much as I could,

The Rocket: Proton 1

(Note, I am using a lot of Russian influences in my design ideas, so "proton" is no accident in naming)
A basic orbital delivery vehicle, the Proton uses a four-booster solid rocket first stage, and then a long burn liquid fueled booster for the second stage. Third stage is a smaller take with a similar engine. Overall design is meant to get a small payload into a 100 to 130 KM orbit. Early course stabilization is handled largely by the fins, and later on we have a powerful ring gyro at the neck of the ship for control outside of the atmosphere.



 First stage turns over to second stage at about 7KM altitude and the main engine handled the majority of the accent.


By the time the third stage engages, we the rocket has picked up well over 1000 M/S velocity and we are nearing the outer edge of the atmosphere.

The fuel tanks were good enough that we did an orbital adjustment before we deployed, and set the satellite on a diagonal path in order to see more of Kerbin over time.






Final orbit, satalite deployed at 110 KM over Kerbit. 

Thoughts:

All told, the mission took me about 45 minutes to do from start to finish. It was a fun reminder of the basics of rocketry and ballistic mechanics, and did feel a lot more like some of those "first steps" I am used to reading about in my history books bout early space flight.

The takeaway:
From an "in-game" point of view, Kerbin just put its first satellite into orbit, This in itself was was a major earth-moving event in actual history.

Much like the Soviet R-7, I have saved the "Proton 1" rocket chassis for use and further development. The hope is to expand the basic design into two or three chassis for light, medium and heavy payloads to orbit before advancing the whole program forward.

And for a side note, the actual proton rocket class  rocket is detailed here. it is actually a late generation rocket design for the Soviets. Myself, I found the rocket's service record and design straightforward, and effective, which is why I am mimicking the concepts here.

No comments:

Post a Comment