Saturday, February 22, 2014

Something someone else said, and said well.

I have a friend who wrote something rather important today. And I would like you to read it. And to set the stage for this introduction, before I shove you out the door, I would offer a preface.

Mark Twain one chastised his readers by telling them not to seek meaning that wasn't actually intended in some of his works.

At the same time, "Through the looking glass" has often been rumored to be allegorical to a morally forbidden love felt by the author towards his teen-aged niece.

I once got into an argument with someone about the themes of Akira Kurosawa's "Seven Samurai", I held that the core theme of the story was the development of honor, and the plight of soldiers without a war to fight, or then their plight even when they had one. My opposite seemed rather fixated on the idea that whole point of the movie was the rise of the peasants and their ultimate victory over the bandits (with help of their hired guns).

I disarmed the whole conversation by saying "look, it's art, you cant take away from it whatever you want."

In the end, anyone effectively has the right to see whatever they want in art. I think it's safe to say we all take something unique away from most trips to the theater or the movie store.

But... what you take away from it also reflects on you.

I was not really surprised to find out that there is a demographic that saw more than just inspiration in the recent Pixar film "Frozen". In summary, a number of people (I am saddened to say) have accused the production team and writers of the film of forwarding a "pro-homosexual" agenda with the film. If you've seen the film, I hope you find that as painfully ludicrous as I do. One really has to wonder how paranoid and warped you are to watch a film like that and come to that conclusion above all others.

Yes, it is about accepting differences, and it is about the torment of being an outcast. I could go on for several pages about how you don't need to be gay to relate to those categories.

But I don't need to.

I would like you to read a friend's page for me. Not because I couldn't say the same thing, but because I honestly feel that in these few angrily composed paragraphs, Lisa comes to the point of the thing with all the painful, honest, heartfelt power needed to do this subject justice.

So, without further delay, I invite you to my friend's deviant art site, and ask you to read:



by Lisa Garrison




No comments:

Post a Comment